- Team Name.
- Explain how you chose your team name.
Zirconium is a material that is produced at a local mine. The team name Zircon is adapted from this material.
- Country(s) represented.
- School(s) represented.
Dubbo College – Senior Campus.
- Town of School(s).
Dubbo, New South Wales.
- Number of males / Number of females on team.
- Link to team Facebook page:
- Team Twitter handle
- Link to team website.
- Briefly outline the history of your team.
After previously competing in the F1 in Schools Challenge, two members of Zircon decided to challenge themselves further by competing in the 4×4 in Schools Challenge. Team Zircon was formed in July 2015 and went on to win the best track performance, most innovative design and 2nd overall at the 2016 Australian National Finals in February this year. Since receiving a wild card entry to the world finals a short time after we have been hard at work creating something that is worthy of representing Australian on the world stage.
- Land Rover 4×4 in Schools achievements so far
2016 Australian National Final:
- 2nd Place Overall
- Best Track Performance
- Most Innovative Design
- Describe your team in 3 words
Professional. Ambitious. Innovative.
- What do you think makes your World Final team unique from other teams?
Our commitment to the challenge with innovative airless tyres, use of recyclable materials and inclusion of solar panels to ensure sustainability throughout, sets us apart from other teams that have ever taken part in the competition.
- Magic moment – what has been the most exciting Land Rover 4×4 in Schools experience your team has had so far?
Competing at the Australian National Finals in Sydney has been the most exciting experience for the team. Meeting so many like-minded individuals with the same passions and goals was truly a great experience.
- We can laugh now – tell us about one of your team’s funniest moments, maybe it wasn’t so funny at the time!
The first time attempting to connect the speed controller didn’t go very well; it caught fire the moment the car was turned on. Fortunately it didn’t damage any other components.
- What is the biggest challenge in this competition?
The biggest challenge we had throughout the competition was learning and applying new manufacturing techniques and over-coming issues with them as they arose.
- What are you most looking forward to at the World Finals?
We are looking forward to meeting like-minded people from many different backgrounds and cultures.
- What are your expectations for the World Finals?
We are expecting the World Finals to be a challenging and immersive experience.